Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Fight Review: Pacquiao vs Bradley

Well what was supposed to be a somewhat of a 'tune-up' fight for a possible 4th fight with Juan Manuel Marquez, or a dream fight with Floyd Mayweather, ended up being one of the most controversial decisions in boxing history.  Manny Pacquiao seemed to have the fight in the bank after outworking & frustrating Timothy Bradley.  All seemed set for another Pac Man victory, but once Micheal Buffer announced that there was a 'split-decision', a horrible decision seemed inevitable.  Sure enough 2 of the judges scored the fight in favor on Bradley, I couldn't believe the decision, even though I was contemplating placing a bet on Bradley to win by decision because I liked the odds, but for Pacquiao to lose the fight on the judges horrible call made me nearly sick to my stomach.  I've seen horrible calls made before, especially this year, Campillo vs Cloud, Abril vs Rios in which I was there in person to see the robbery.  To strip Pacquiao of his title the way those 2 judges did, was definitely foul.  The mainstream media, once again is claiming that boxing is in danger of dying out, which I disagree, but calls like this definitely help to prove them right.  I'm in favor of having some sort of structure that will help prevent episodes like this occur again, it really does mark the sport in a very negative way.  I've read a few conspiracy theories on why this horrible decision was made.  Despite the decision, I still believe Manny Pacquiao is in the top tier of pound for pound best boxers, and Bradley still has to prove himself of being an elite up and coming superstar.  All this fight proved was that something must be done to the sport of boxing to prevent things like this ever happening again, and quick.

No comments:

Post a Comment